Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame- Class of 2016

The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame inductees for 2016 were announced today. With the exception of one artist, the Class of 2016 has a great roster. Still, there are some problems here. I'll go down the list and give my take.


Cheap Trick- I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they made it in the Hall! This was their first time being nominated. They should've been a couple of years ago but now is a pretty good time. I really like Cheap Trick: they perfectly border along the lines of power pop and hard rock. My guess is the classic line-up of Robin Zander, Rick Nielsen, Tom Petersson and Bun E. Carlos will get in. However, Carlos hasn't been touring with the band for a while now- with Nielsen's son Daxx filling in. So if they do perform at the ceremony, I'm not sure if they'll have the original line-up there.

Chicago- I've never been a fan of their music (I do like some of it though. They aren't a bad band at all). but I'm happy to hear that they are finally in the Hall. They should've been in there a long time ago. These guys won the public vote and that doesn't surprise me at all.

Deep Purple- This is the band I was pulling for the most. While the guys in the band don't seem to care, I'm happy for them because they should've been in a long time ago (like before Jon Lord died in 2012). These guys were up there with Led Zeppelin as one of the greatest hard rock bands of the 1970's. While the band may not have a discography as consistent as Zeppelin's, they are influential nevertheless.

Much to my surprise, the Hall is inducting other members of the band. I thought they'd only induct the Mach II line-up but they're inducting many of the guys from the band. The list includes: Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Paice, Jon Lord, Rod Evans, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes. Now if you're a Purple fan, you'll notice there are some names missing there: Nick Simper, Tommy Bolin, Joe Lynn Turner, Steve Morse and Don Airey (I'm not including Joe Satriani given he was really a fill-in for Blackmore during the 1993-4 tour). Turner, Morse and Airey weren't in the band's original run from 1968 to 1976. Simper and Bolin, however, were. In fact, Simper was the original bassist for the band and played on the first three albums- just like Rod Evans, the original singer- who IS getting the induction. This is strange. I think all of the members from the band's original run should be inducted.

Steve Miller- I can't say I'm a fan but he deserves it. I'm not sure why it's being credited to just him and not his band but I'm good with this.

UPDATE (12/23): I looked at the Wikipedia page on the Steve Miller Band and they've had A LOT of members. I think it's safe to just induct Miller only.

NWA- This is the one exception. I don't care how much you try and break it down: NWA is NOT Rock n Roll. They are a hip hop group. This really pisses me off. If they were to have named the place the Music Hall of Fame, they would've gotten away with it. It's no surprise that they got in, given a critically acclaimed biopic on their career was released earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment