Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2016 Nominees- My Thoughts

The nominees for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2016 were announced today. In total, the Hall has nominated 15 acts. This is also the Hall's fourth time in which they've allowed the public to chime in and cast their collective vote. In all honesty, this isn't a bad list of nominees. I'm really impressed with some of the choices they've made. However, only five acts will be inducted.

These are my thoughts on all of the acts.


My ballot
The Cars
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Deep Purple
Yes

These are the five that I would like to see get inducted. Obviously, I highly doubt this will be the five since the Hall like to make the inductees diverse. Deep Purple needs to go in already. They are probably the Hall's biggest snub. These guys have been waiting for so long, but then again they don't really seem to care if they get in. I think it's an insult that Jon Lord isn't alive to see the band inducted. The Hall should get it over with already. The same goes for Yes, as bassist and only consistent member Chris Squire passed away in June of this year. I'm surprised to see Cheap Trick pop up on the list. If they can get in, perhaps other power pop acts such as Big Star can get in. While I'm not a big fan of The Cars or Chicago, it's a joke that they've waited this long.

Sure, why not? 
The Smiths
Steve Miller
Nine Inch Nails
Janet Jackson

If I could pick a sixth act for my ballot, I would pick The Smiths. Nine Inch Nails have been pretty consistent. I'm not a fan Steve Miller but classic rock acts like him should be in. As for Janet Jackson, her music really isn't my thing (I like Michael's material more) but the Hall needs more women in it.

Meh
Chic
Chaka Khan
The JB's
Los Lobos
The Spinners

Once again, the Hall have lumped in a bunch of groups in that no one really cares about. This is Chic's TENTH TIME being nominated. If they don't get in this time, then I think the Hall should stop nominating them already. As for the others, I really don't care.

PISS OFF...but they're going to get in anyway
NWA

It makes me very sad that NWA are most likely going to get inducted in 2016. I've said it before: I hate rap and hip hop music. I really do. I can understand some R&B acts getting in and whatnot but I just don't think rap belongs in the Hall. Alas, the damage has already been done: Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC and the Beastie Boys are already in. I think if the Hall has called themselves the Music Hall of Fame, then they would've gotten away with it. However with that, we'd need to have a shit ton of country and pop acts in there. So why is it I'm so convinced that NWA are going in? People are crazy about them and a biopic on them Straight Outta Compton has gotten positive reviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment