Pages

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame: Class of 2018- my thoughts

The inductees for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2018 were announced on Wednesday. Looking down the list, this is a pretty solid group of acts. Still, I do have some frustrations over who didn't get in but let's go over who did get the induction.


Bon Jovi- After winning the public vote in a landslide, Bon Jovi are now in the Hall. I'm really not a fan of Bon Jovi. In fact, they are probably one of the only bands I've ever bought music by and stopped listening to. I was always loyal to their glam metal years but in the last two decades or so, Bon Jovi don't even categorize as such. Even going back to their earlier material, I can't listen to it. Also coming from NJ myself, these guys are worshiped. However, I don't mind their induction into the Hall too much. Jon Bon Jovi himself seems like a decent guy and I'm also liking how Jann Wenner is angered by their induction. With these guys in, can the Hall now please look at other bands from NJ? I'd like to nominate the Misfits.

The Cars- I don't own any of their music but I'm very happy to hear that the Cars got inducted. These guys have been waiting for years to be inducted and this is long overdue. As for the music by the Cars, I don't mind it and would actually be open to listening to it. If one thing does annoy me, it's as to how much classic rock radio plays them. Still, good for them.

Dire Straits- Once again, we have another band here that I'm not all that crazy about. Still, I think they deserve their induction. I also have a soft spot for them given Mark Knopfler was one of Phil Lynott's friends. Speaking of which, can we get Thin Lizzy in the Hall already?

The Moody Blues-  After years and years of waiting, the Moody Blues have finally been inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Formed in the mid 1960s, the Moody Blues have been around for some five decades. Those first few Moody Blues albums are really good and I think those alone are worthy of an induction.

Nina Simone- I have to be honest and admit I'm not familiar with her music. I know that she's gotten some buzz ever since a Netflix documentary about her was released. I've been meaning to watch it. The Hall lacks in female inductees so this is nice to see.

Along with these five artists, Sister Rosetta Tharpe has also been inducted as an early influence.

The 2018 Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is scheduled for April 14, 2018 in Cleveland.

No comments:

Post a Comment