Pages

Friday, December 14, 2018

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame: Class of 2019- My Thoughts

Back in October of this year, the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame nominees were announced. While I usually post my thoughts on the bands nominated, I didn't do that this year. Why? Well, there's a number of reasons: the nominations weren't too exciting, I work now, I write for another website, laziness, etc. I think I don't need to repeat myself over and over because I'll almost always say the same things about the bands nominated. I don't get a lot of readers these days- which is another thing. Don't get me wrong: I enjoy posting things to my blog every year but I've just gotten lazy these last few years. Besides, this blog features A LOT of my writing.

Now that I've rambled far longer than I should've, here's what I will do: I'll give my thoughts on the bands that've been inducted. Again, my opinion really hasn't changed but I think this year has a fairly good batch of bands.

The Cure- I'm not a fan of their music but their induction is fairly overdue. They were very influential and Robert Smith is one of those iconic figures in rock music. I'm really not that knowledgable on them but they deserved this.

Def Leppard- The tradition of inducting the fan poll winner continues as the English hard rockers are now in the Hall. While I'm not too crazy over Def Leppard's music, I do have Pyromania and Hysteria in my collection. While some of their influences have yet to be inducted, I think this is well earned. There's also the slight possibility of their induction leading to their influences getting in next. Singer Joe Elliot is a massive fan of 70s British rock that never really cracked here in the US- including T. Rex and Thin Lizzy. Who knows? Maybe they could encourage this.

Janet Jackson- While not exactly rock, I can understand Janet Jackson's induction. She was very popular during the mid to late 1980s. The Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson have been in for years now so I guess it makes sense to induct her. I probably would've had someone else take her place but I don't mind this.

Stevie Nicks- The Hall picked two female solo artists this year. If any of the members of Fleetwood Mac were going to get inducted for their solo career, Stevie Nicks deserved it the most: she's had a fairly successful solo career and a good number of hits. Good for her.

Radiohead- Here's where some people are gonna disagree with me: Radiohead are in too early. I mean, maybe this is the right time to induct them. After all, their music has been oh so praised over the years. Still, there's dozens of others bands that haven't gotten in the Hall yet that should've been in there years ago. From what I'm to understand, the band aren't too crazy about being inducted either and might not attend the ceremony.

Roxy Music- I was surprised to see Roxy Music get nominated this year. Given their lack of success here in the US, I didn't think the Hall would consider them- even though I thought they deserve it. Again, I'm not too crazy about their music but I do own most of their music. Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno are two big names that haven't been recognized by the Hall until now, which I think is a shame. Roxy had a good career, with several hits singles and albums from around 1971 till their split in the 1980s. I'm happy that they're in.

The Zombies- While they weren't around for long in their original run, the Zombies have released some great music. Okay so they only released a few albums but Odessey and Oracle is such an iconic album.

The induction ceremonies will take place in Brooklyn on March 29, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment