Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guitar Hero R.I.P. (2005-2011)

Not only did we lose a guitar hero this week (Gary Moore) but we've also loss the actual video game franchise of the same name. That's right: According to Activision today in a statement to the press, they will no longer be making anymore new Guitar Hero games. Activision cited that the reason why they decided to pull the plug on the franchise is due to the poor and declining sales in not only Guitar Hero but the music game genre itself. The franchise's last release, Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, sold poorly when released last fall. On the official website, Activision has an FAQ on what will now happen to the franchise. So far, we know there'll be no more downloadable content to add to the game as of February. However, stores will still continue to sell the games.

Well this is sad news but at the same time, it isn't. Also, it isn't too shocking. Sales for the game have been poor for years. I first got into the game in 2007 when I recieved Guitar Hero III as a Christmas gift. I instantly fell in love with the game and how it was almost renewing interest in my favorite bands. Suddenly, I felt like people would get this wonderful music. I've played the older game now and I think another reason why the franchise is ending is because it lost a lot of fans when III came out. The game was no longer being made by Harmonix and the look and feel of the game just wasn't the same. I think it was stupid to add the microphone and drums. It's called Guitar Hero! I don't think people have all the money, sadly. Also, this also means that Rock Band could be in trouble too. I really like Rock Band and don't want to see it go. Also, I hate how people today would rather play games like Halo or Call of Duty. I think someone would get a lot out of Guitar Hero and/or Rock Band. I mean, you don't really learn how to play an instrument but the game introduces some of the younger people to the older music. I think a kid would learn much more by playing a plastic guitar than pretending they're in the army and shooting people. Why do people want to play war games? We're still in a war with Iraq right now. Millions of soldiers have died. Why? I have no clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment