Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Alvin Lee dead at 68

Alvin Lee
December 19, 1944-March 6, 2013 

Guitarist/singer Alvin Lee, former and founding member of Ten Years After, died on Wednesday March 6. He was 68. As for the cause of death, Lee was to have died from respiratory failure while having procedural surgery. Lee was one of the four members in Ten Years After. The band were formed in 1966 and released several albums from 1967 to 1973. The band gained a wider audience after they performed at the legendary 1969 Woodstock festival. The band stole the show with their performance of "I'm Goin Home", to which a member of the audience rewarded Lee with a watermelon. The band were able to have a few hit singles with "Love Like A Man" and "I'd Love to Change the World". The band split in 1974 but reformed some 20 years later without Lee. Prior to his death, Lee had been a solo artist. 

I am saddened to hear of Alvin's passing. Personally, I'm not a big Ten Years After fan but I do own a handful of their albums via vinyl transfers. They were a really great blues rock band and Alvin was a great guitarist as well as a great singer. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Alvin..

Also I want to note that this obituary is late but please understand that I was on a trip when Alvin died and was unable to post a blog on his death. This is the next best thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment