Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announce 2011 nominees

Today at 10:30 am, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced the nominees for the 2011 induction ceremony. This year, the Hall have picked 15 acts. Of them, five will be inducted. Compared to last year, last year was so much better. Still, this year's list does have a few surprises. I will put the 15 acts into different categories to show who I want in, who I don't want in, and the ones I don't give a crap about.

PUT THEM IN!

Alice Cooper- Of the 15 acts, I'm the most excited about Alice. It's about freakin' time! As we all know, Alice and his band have made classic albums and set the standards for the theatrics in rock n roll. The Alice Cooper band made seven albums before breaking up in 1975. Alice, however, had changed his name legally to Alice Cooper and started a solo career. Today, Alice is still touring and has his own syndicated radio show "Nights With Alice Cooper". My concern is if Alice is inducted, does that mean he and the four members of the Alice Cooper band get inducted too? This would include guitarists Michael Bruce and Glenn Buxton (R.I.P.), bassist Dennis Dunaway, and drummer Neal Smith. If Alice doesn't get in and LL Cool J or the Beastie Boys do, I'll kill the pricks who won't let him in.
Number of times nominated: first time

Bon Jovi- The New Jersey hard rockers would make a wonderful addition to the Hall of Shame. Since they formed in 1983, Bon Jovi are one of the most successful "hair metal" or "glam metal" bands ever. The band have hit songs such as "Runaway" and "Livin' On A Prayer" and hit albums such as Slippery When Wet and New Jersey. Recently, the band hasn't been very much a hard rock band and have been more of a pop-rock band. I think the current line-up will get in along with former bassist John Alec Such.
Number of times nominated: first time

Donovan- It's about time this folk-rock "Hurdy Gurdy Man" get nominated. I'll be honest: I don't own anything by Donovan but being that he's from one of my favorite eras in rock music, I want him to get in.
Number of times nominated: first time

Dr. John- Like Donovan, I own nothing by him but I think he too is a theatric guy and is also a very influential musician in blues music. He did write "I Walked On Gilded Splinters", which Humble Pie did an excellent 22 minute live cover of!
Number of times nominated: first time (?)

J. Geils Band- I don't own anything by them but being that they are a classic rock band, I want them in.
Number of times nominated: 2 (2005 and 2006)

Meh, whatever. But...

Tom Waits- Tom Waits is an experimental musician. He's much like Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart. His most famous album is probably Rain Dogs. I have to get some stuff by him. I'd be okay with him getting in but at the same time, this isn't right. Captain Beefheart needs to be inducted first then Tom Waits can get in. Zappa has been in for some 15 years so yeah...
Number of times nominated: first time

Neil Diamond- It's very shocking that this guy hasn't even been nominated once. I'd be okay with him getting in, though I can't say I'm a fan.
Number of times nominated: first time


WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!

Chic, Darlene Love, Joe Tex, Laura Nyro, Chuck Willis- Okay honestly I have heard the names of these people. As for their music, I don't know any of it nor do I really care. Most of these people are pretty old and I just don't care about them being inducted.

HELL NO!

Beastie Boys and LL Cool J- WHY ARE THESE GUYS NOMINATED?! They aren't rock at all, no matter how much you dumb it down with genre politics and roots. They belong to the WORST genre in music of all time: rap. Sadly, the Hall has already put in Grandmaster Flash and Run DMC. If any of these two get in instead of Alice Cooper or Bon Jovi or any of my five picks, I will kill the people who let them in.

Donna Summer- I have a bad feeling she'll get in. I don't want any disco in the Hall. At all.

The inductees will be announced in December. The ceremony is said to take place on March 14, 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment