Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It's Official: Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez are the new American Idol judges

After months of speculation, it has finally been announced officially that singers Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez will be the two new judges for Season 10 for American Idol. The Fox Channel hit will start Season 10 on January 12, 2011. However, Tyler and Lopez may not start their run as judges until the show's Hollywood week. American Idol has been through many changes since the end of their seventh season. At the beginning of Season 8 in 2009, a fourth judge named Kara DioGuardi joined the original judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson. After Season 8, Abdul left and was replaced by comedian Ellen DeGeneres. Season 9, which aired earlier this year, was already going to be Simon Cowell's last season as he is now focusing on an American version of the hit UK reality-competition show The X Factor which is due sometime next year. In late July, DeGeneres announced she was leaving claiming that she wasn't the right fit. Then in August, DioGuardi announced she was also leaving the show. This left Jackson only judge left until now.
I find it very interesting that the show chose Steven Tyler to be a judge. I'm not sure how this'll go over with Aerosmith fans, like me. Personally, I'm okay with it. All I'm waiting for from Aerosmith is a new album in the vein of Toys in the Attic or Rocks. As for Lopez, at least they chose someone related to music. I'm going to be completely honest: American Idol has been a guilty pleasure since their second or third season. Idol has had their share of so-called rockers. I gave up watching after Season 8 in 2009, which was just horrible. The only singer worth watching was Adam Lambert. As a fan of glam rock and glam metal, I really liked Lambert because he has a great set of pipes. After he loss against Kris Allen, I gave up watching. When I heard DeGeneres was joining, I decided to see what it was like. After a few episodes of Season 9, I just gave up. None of the contestants were good and I just gave up. I think the show has already died without Cowell there. I'm really surprised they've decided to continue but I have a feeling this is it for the show. Just out of curiosity, I'll watch the show for a second just to see what Tyler is like. Otherwise, I don't care what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment