Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Freddie Mercury biopic in the works starring Sacha Baron Cohen

According to various sources, a new biopic on the life of Freddie Mercury is in the works. The person slated to play the charasmatic lead singer of Queen is actor Sacha Baron Cohen. Cohen is best known for playing the title character in the hit comedies Borat and Bruno. The movie, which is set to begin production in 2011, will focus on Mercury's life from the beginning to his performance at Live Aid in 1985. Mercury's death in 1991 to AIDS, however, will not be mentioned in the movie. The script will be written by Peter Morgan, who's best known for his work in Frost/Nixon and The Last King of Scotland. It's unknown if Cohen will be singing in the movie or if he'll lip sync to the original music of Queen.
I find this very interesting. I love Queen and their music. Freddie Mercury, in my opinion, probably had the finest voice in rock. I'm not familiar with Cohen. I've not seen Borat or Bruno but I may have to just so I can get a feel for how Cohen is going to pull off the role. From what I've heard surviving Queen members Brian May, John Deacon, and Roger Taylor are all backing this project up. It should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment